Sunday, February 18, 2018

The Alphabet Ends With Y

Last night I finished the last book written by my favorite author, Sue Grafton.  If you are not familiar with her books, Sue was the author of the alphabet series featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone in the fictional city of Santa Teresa, California. Beginning with her first book, "A is for Alibi", Sue captured my interest for a variety of reasons.  First, her main character was a woman in what some considered "a man's occupation".  Second, It was written in a style that gave the reader insight into what the suspect, secondary characters and most importantly into what the main character were thinking and feeling in every situation.  Third, justice is served in the end but not always in the ways we are used to in reading novels such as these.  She also made her main character, Kinsey Malone, not only a knowledgeable, capable private investigator but one with quirks (her peanut butter and pickle sandwiches), emotions (that range from intense anger to fear and sorrow) and self-doubt.

After 2 years of battling cancer, Sue Grafton lost the fight this past December.  Her daughter announced that no ghostwriter could do justice to her mother's work so the alphabet will end with Y.

From the beginning, I have always looked forward to when the next book in her series would come out and it saddens me to think there will be no more after Y.  I think I will just start at A once more and read the series again.  To me, that is the legacy of an excellent author...that their books are read again and again and again.

2 comments:

  1. To me, that is the legacy of an excellent author...that their books are read again and again and again.

    How true! For me it's L. M. Montgomery, and although she died a long, long time ago, I wish she was still around and writing. Since that's not going to happen, I've settled for reading her Anne of Green Gables books every single year, sometimes twice!

    Caitlynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading Sue Grafton's books again but I am also trying to find another series to get attached to. So far, no such luck. Perhaps I will try the Anne of Green Gables books. Haven't read them.

      Delete