Monday, September 30, 2024

And so September ends...

The last two weeks of September were filled with a variety of activities.

First, B and I did our big grocery shop.  This will take care of the holidays coming up and increase our fill up of the chest freezer and the pantry.  The only holiday we really have to buy for is Christmas as Thanksgiving is for the kids inlaws, so it is just B and me.  We don't need a big Thanksgiving dinner for the 2 of us.  There are still some farm markets in our area and we will be going to those as long as we can.
 
We celebrated three birthdays in the final weeks of September.  My grandpuppy, Buster, who lives in Nevada with my oldest son and dil turned 6. We sent him Star Wars toys and a Darth Vader shirt to wear on his walks.  Our nephew who lives in Florida turned 40.  Hard to believe these boys who used to play together when they were little are getting so old but then so are we.  My sister who also lives in Florida turned 69 and we both lamented on the phone that we do not feel our age.  We feel younger. 

B wanted to go to a knife and gun show Saturday as he is a hunter and sees a number of friends there.  I went too but I stayed in the car and read my book.  Looking at guns, knives, decoys and animal furs hold no interest for me.  Then we went to Michaels's so I could get more yarn, which they had on sale, to crochet some more small blankets for the local animal shelter.  We went to Goodwill also and I found a picture frame that I wanted to use in my kitchen.  I found a recipe for cookies that my grandmother and mother made every holiday.  I now make them too.  What makes the recipe so special is that it is in my mom's handwriting so I thought I would put it in the frame and hang it up in my kitchen.  Now everytime I look at it, I am reminded of her. B also picked up an old typewriter in the case.  He loves antiques like that.  Afterwards we went to Panera for lunch.  We love their soup.  After lunch, a quick stop at Lowe's to get a replacement tire for the lawnmower and then we headed for home.


 
Sunday, our youngest came over with his truck to pick up our old snowblower. B had purchased a new one so he gave the old one to our son.  He also picked up an ice fishing kit he had ordered and had it delivered to our house since we are home during the day and he and the dil are both working.  We talked about the change in weather (it's gotten cold) and how he has been trying to sell his truck but no bites on it yet.  We were very surprised to see that he had shaved his head bald.  When I asked why. He said he was going bald anyway and decided to get it over with.  The rest of Sunday was quiet.  I spent it reading and then we watched the Lions football game on tv (we won!).

I counted our change jars and our $1 bills' envelope.  We then took this money and deposited it in our emergency fund account.  We are working to build it back up as it took a big hit this summer.

I repotted two house plants and will divide a large peace plant I have and repot that into 2 pots.

I shortened 4 pairs of pants for me.  The pants are in very good shape so no point in buying new. It seems in my old age I am shrinking.  My grandfather used to tell us that he was shrinking and that one day we would wake up and find only a pile of clothes on his bedroom floor because he had shrunk out of sight. I loved my grandfather.

We went to the local public library which was having its annual used book sale.  B found three he liked and I found three and the 6 only cost us about $20.  We really don't need anymore books but when you have a book addiction, you must fill it.  After the sale, we went and looked at the new non fiction books on the library shelves but only saw books on political subjects.  I have had my fill of politics and did not want to read about it.  We went to lunch at Red Lobster (we were in the mood for shrimp) and then headed for home.  All in all, a good outing.

Saturday was my sister's birthday but because she lives in Florida and was having a difficult time with Hurricane Helene, I didn't get to talk to her until Sunday.

Saturday night we also got to watch on live stream a concert my oldest son was performing in.  He was the featured player with the Reno Philharmonic.  We wished we could have gotten there in person but thanks to live streaming, it was almost like we were there in person.            

So on this last day of September, I wish for all of you to have an October filled with God's blessings, memorable adventures and peaceful times with family and friends.

2 comments:

  1. You've been busy!
    My husband would have enjoyed that gun and knife show too, and I'd be reading in the car with you. :)
    I love your framed recipe. I wish I had something like that to frame.
    Hooray for you son, he must be talented! Glad you could live stream it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy September. I am glad that you could stream your eldest's concert.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete