Thursday, June 30, 2016

2 Years into Retirement and This is What I Do...


When I first retired, a good friend told me to start off slow and take my time in filling up all those hours and days that used to be filled with work.  I took that advice and so now 2 years later, this is what I am doing so far.......

(1) travel-short, mini trips as well as longer vacations.  The upside is we can leave and return whenever we choose to.
(2) create my own needlepoint design projects
(3) house renovation-downsizing, cleaning out the junk, donating a lot we don't need.  After all, there are only 2 of us living here now.
(4) genealogy-have been able to go back 3 and 4 generations on my side of the family.  Have started working on my husband's father's side.
(5) write children's stories-have written 2 children's stories which have been submitted for possible publication.  This took courage on my part and I am pleased I did this much.
(6) write my own blog-I started my blog in January of this year and am really enjoying writing it.  It
is viewed by not only family but by others who have given me positive comments on a number of posts.
(7) read mainly nonfiction-I have always been a reader and my favorite genre is nonfiction. However,
I do read a detective series by Sue Grafton.
(8) journaling- I have 4 journals going (so far):  personal, all about me, prayer, color.  Journaling has always been a very important part of my life.  It has gotten me thru the highs and lows and helped me make decisions and choices in my life.

Of course, this list by no means is the end.  This is just what I have been doing in the last 2 years. I expect that I will add more as my interests change and I decide I want to do more in an area.  I have considered going back to school for a Master's degree, take classes in new crafts or other skills, volunteering, starting a business, etc. 

This is the next chapter of my life and I am happy with the timetable I have developed to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment