Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Family Picture Craft


I saw this cross stitch family picture craft idea on a website and thought it was the coolest way of creating a  family picture.  With my son and his family living across the country, it is difficult to get the whole family together for a family portrait not to mention expensive.  This seemed like a wonderful alternative in that I didn't need them all together and I could incorporate a craft that I enjoy.  It was quite easy as well. 

First, I created the characters on graph paper (there are some wonderful examples on the Martha Stewart site).  I also tried to include specific items that would distinguish between them.  For instance, my oldest son has a beard and mustache, my daughter-in-law always wears her hair up and my youngest son has a goatee and always wears a baseball cap.  Then I figured out what colors of embroidery floss I would need (this is a good way to use up any leftover floss from other projects).  It didn't take long to create it.  I spent 3 days on it only because I broke it up into an hour a day.  I am very pleased at how it turned out.  All that is left is to have it framed and displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment