Thursday, December 27, 2018

Word for 2019

It's that time of year again when I think about what word I will focus on for the coming year.  In the past, I have used the words: Hope, Peace and Creativity.  It is not an easy thing to come up with a word to focus on.  I meditate and pray on it.  I have done some free think about it.  This is where I just list all the words that come to mind that speak to me.  Then I go thru each one and either eliminate the word and move it onto a new edited list.  By doing this, I have been able to narrow the list down to the word I will choose.  However, this year something different happened.  The word just came to me one morning while I was having my coffee and journaling at the start of my day.  No other word seem to come to me as clear and definitive as this one.  So, for the year 2019, I am choosing the word, "OPTIMISM".

Daily we are inundated with what is wrong in the world, our country, people, etc.  It has caused me to wonder if everything is (as in my mother's favorite phrase) "going to hell in a handbag".  So much hate, violence, and anger.  One can become overwhelmed with so much darkness.  For 2019, I want to focus on the good, the peaceful, the selflessness of life.  I want to find each day an example of what life should be even if the example is small.  I want to smile more at the ups instead of constantly frowning at the downs.

Abraham Lincoln said, "When you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will."

I want to turn this around for 2019 and look for the good.

3 comments:

  1. That's a wise start to the year, Ellen :)
    Being a word-y person, I doubt there'll be just that one word for me. Last Sunday at Mass, I think God gave me a hint as to what He'd like me to do more:

    Now, rest your head on My bosom, on My heart, and draw from it strength and power for these sufferings, because you will find neither relief nor help nor comfort anywhere else. ~ Diary - Divine Mercy In My Soul by St. Faustina Kowalska

    I wish I could see just blossoms and blooms ahead but I can't; it's beyond me for now. But I will try to understand what He means for me in asking me to rest my head on His Heart. The journey to understanding this will be at least one of my 2019's journeys.

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well. Let's hope that 2019 turns out to be all we hope it will be for the better.

      Delete
  2. I am not one to choose a word each year, but this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete