Friday, November 26, 2021

It's Officially the Christmas Season for me


The Friday after Thanksgiving is usually a day of shopping in the middle of crazy crowds, endless lines at the checkouts and items on sale that mysteriously run out within an hour of the store opening.  For others, it is a day of rest and relaxation to recuperate from Thanksgiving dinner and an extremely poor showing by your football team.  For me, the day after Thanksgiving has always been the start of the Christmas season.  Up until now, I have refrained from listening to Christmas music, looking at Christmas decorations on store shelves since September and watching Christmas movies playing every night on the tv.  It is irritating to me that the holidays seem to start earlier and earlier every year. I refuse to celebrate Christmas before Halloween and Thanksgiving.

As I said, today is the start of Christmas for me. Today I will begin decorating the house and listening to Christmas music. Since I do 90% of my shopping online, I am finished with that.  The coming days will include baking for the holidays, getting the Christmas tree (a real one) and a wreath for the front picture window.  I will wrap gifts and write holiday letters to friends near and far.  I will watch a variety of Christmas movies and specials on the tv.

This Sunday is the beginning of Advent in the Catholic faith and I will begin making my Advent offering. Each year I get an item for each of the 24 days of Advent to donate to my local pet shelter.  I will also be praying a rosary a day, which is my personal Advent gift, asking that God instill in the people of the world the gifts of kindness, love, patience, and generosity in order to move away from the violence, hatred, meanness and lack of humanity we seem to be experiencing now.

Christmas is the season of peace and love.  I hope that all of you experience that at this time of year.  Don't let the pressures of the holiday overwhelm you.  Remember everything you need to celebrate is right in front of you.  You only need to really focus and you will see it.

3 comments:

  1. I will be starting to decorate or at least get the tree out and started tomorrow or Sunday. Christmas is coming much too quickly for my peace of mind.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year I am like a little kid again, Christmas can't come soon enough.

      Delete
  2. It was so nice to hear from you on my blog. I need bloggers that bring me peace and inspire a feeling of gratitude. Thank you

    ReplyDelete