Thursday, January 18, 2024

Catching Up....


Having a no credit card month in January.  November and December had my credit card screaming so I decided to give it a vacation.  So far so good.

First blizzard of the new year.  Started last Friday night and lasted until last Sunday morning. 40mph winds, 26" of snow and very very cold.  Only good thing about it was we didn't lose power.

B went out on Sunday to start cleaning up after the blizzard.  We have two snowblowers. A small deck snowblower because the snow gets too heavy to shovel and toss over the railings of the deck and a large snowblower for the driveway.  He was out there for about 3 hours and then came back in to warm up and rest.  He then informed me that this would be his last winter to do this.  Next winter, we will be hiring someone to come in and do the plowing.  At 78 years old, B has reached the breaking point on clearing up the snow.  I was quite happy about this announcement as I had brought it up a few years ago and he rejected the idea.

Last Sunday night, we watched the premiere of a new mini-series "Monsieur Spade" and were quite happy with it.  Good carryover from the movie "The Maltese Falcon" with Humphrey Bogart.

After waiting 3 decades, my football team, Detroit Lions, have gotten into the playoffs.  Happy Day!!

I am reading a wonderful series "The Thursday Murder Club" by Richard Osman.  It is about 4 retirees living in a retirement community and they solve murders at the same time.  There are 4 books in the series so far and I have started number three.  I am enjoying them alot.  Another book series along the same lines is "The Marlowe Murder Club" by Robert Thorogood.  I recommend both series.

Wednesday is the dentist. We were supposed to go last week but the morning of our appointment, the dentist office called and canceled as the dentist was ill that day so we are rescheduled for this week.  We will still go to Hobby Lobby after the appointment but since we need to grocery shop this week, we will go to the grocery store across from Hobby Lobby before we head home.  We like to incorporate as many errands as possible in as few trips in the car as possible due to the cost of gas and the weather.

Hobby Lobby had a big sale and I was able to get many things almost 50% off.  Found a couple of things to put away for Christnas gifts for the youngest son and a birthday gift for my dil for this Saturday.  I am also trying to use up some fabric scraps so I decided to make potholders and picked up a yard of insulbrite for the inside while I was there.  Some other misc items and all in all not too expensive what with sale prices and the gift card my dil gave me for Christmas.   

It's amazing how quiet and less crowded stores are after the holidays.  I much prefer to shop that way.  But since the holidays get way too "peopley", I shop online for the holidays.  I dislike crowds where it's wall to wall people.

We have had to turn on extra heaters in the last two weeks.  I am not looking forward to my heating bill.  I am sure it will be way higher than we have seen it in the last few winters.  Isn't climate change wonderful?

Stay warm and stay safe.

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, did you get a lot of snow. We still have very little, but lots of freezing cold weather. Hopefully that will change with a bit of a warm up supposedly this weekend.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete