Sunday, November 27, 2022

Holiday Season Begins


Today is the first Sunday of Advent and the official start of the Christmas season for me.  Yesterday B and I went to a local craft fair and found quite a number of gifts for the boys and their spouses as well as some decorations for the house.  It was strange shopping for Christmas yesterday as the temperature was almost 59 which is quite warm for this time of year in the Upper Peninsula.  We will pay for such a lovely day as the temps will start to plummet to the 20s by the end of next week.

Today I am going to do some decorating inside the house and get the corner of the living room ready for the tree.  We will shop for the Christmas tree next Saturday with my youngest son and dil.  A family tradition to shop at the local Christmas tree farm for our trees and wreaths.  We have a lovely time with apple cider, taking pictures and oohing & aahing over the homemade christmas ornaments.  Then they help set ours up in the house before heading home to set up theirs.  All in all, a wonderful way to start the holiday.

Next week, B and I will be delivering donations to a number of organizations in our town.  This is something we do all year round but especially during Advent.  We believe that for all that was given to us when we needed it, we should give back now that we have more than we need.  Tomorrow, we will be delivering items to our local pet rescue as well as giving them gift cards for a number of stores where they purchase food and items for the animals.  We will also be dropping off items to a local church thrift store.  Their profits go toward a lot of community outreach programs. We contribute to the "Toys for Tots" program as well as deliver stuffed animals to the hospital to be given to children who must be in the hospital over the holidays.

This is my favorite time of year and I try to spread that joy around as much as I can.

After all when it comes right down to it with the way the world is these days, "We Need A Little Christmas Now."

3 comments:

  1. Your spirit of giving is wonderful. I'm sure all you do is very much appreciated.
    I haven't a live tree for years and though I love the smell, I hate the needles falling. We don't get local trees, they generally come from two provinces over so have been cut a week or two before they arrive here.
    But your time with your son and DIL sounds like a great time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Advent Season. A joyous time and a time of anticipation.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful way to spend the Advent season!Thank you for writing to me at Harvest Lane Cottage!

    ReplyDelete