Saturday, September 3, 2016

DIY Camouflage in the Kitchen



My husband and I have been updating our kitchen...new floor, old cupboards painted in a new grey color, wall paper,  new counter tops, etc.  Everything has been going quite smoothly until we reached what I call "the elephant in the room".  On the wall by the back door in the kitchen is our electrical panel.  It is an ugly metal cabinet which contains all the electrical switches for the house.  I don't like the look of it and have tried to hide it by hanging a picture/wall hanging over it.  But even those looked just as bad.  So one afternoon I was staring at it trying to come up with an idea how to camouflage it (it would be too expensive to have it moved).  Then it came to me perhaps a kitchen wall cabinet would do it.  It would hide the panel but still allow us to access it if needed.  We measured the area and purchased an unfinished wall cabinet.  Since the panel is on a wall by the back door, the cabinet would be too deep to hang up the way it was.  So we measured how deep it could be while allowing sufficient clearance for the back door.  My husband then sawed off the back of the cabinet to the right depth.  We painted the cabinet to match the rest of the kitchen cabinets and then attached it to the wall over the electrical panel.  The pictures above show how well it worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment