Saturday, February 10, 2018

Lent 2018





On Ash Wednesday I will begin a project that I have done for the past 2 years as my Lenten alms giving.  My project is that I downsize.  Each day during Lent, I clean out a closet, a shelf, a chest, etc. and put an item in a bag/box with the goal being to donate all those items to the St. Vincent de Paul organization after Easter.  This has been a very meaningful way for me to give to others as well as downsize things I have that I don't need or want anymore.  This project has also inspired my husband to do the same downsizing with many of his things.  We also fill a box with non-perishable food items for the St. Vincent de Paul food pantry.

To some, downsizing may not seem like a sacrifice that compares to the one Jesus made for us.  ButI don't believe that Jesus looks at it like that...keeping a running tally on who is sacrificing enough.  I believe that He wants us to acknowledge that part of our life that could use some housecleaning to make room for Him to fill our spirits completely.  A Lenten sacrifice is an individual decision.  Each of us knows what we need to do to make ready for His Resurrection.  Remember Jesus words,  “whatever you did for the least of these, my brothers, you did for Me” (Matt 25:40).

Let us each ask ourselves, "How did I make room for Jesus this Lenten season?"

2 comments:

  1. Ellen, this has got to rate as one of the best and most succinct Lenten meditations I've read.

    Caitlynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am pleased you like it as the posts you have been writing for Lent have been very inspirational to me.

      Delete