Monday, April 30, 2018

After 4 years in Retirement, What I Have Learned.

I have been retired from teaching for 4 years now and in that time, I have learned some interesting things.

1.  It is not necessary to be busy every day.  It is okay to have a "do nothing" day.

2.  Mornings are much better when you do not have to rush.

3.  It is not necessary to be rich to retire, being comfortable is good.

4.  Friends from work come and go but true ones are still there after you retire.

5.  Marriage can survive retirement when you learn to let the petty things go.

6.  I have not caught a cold once since retiring from teaching (go figure).

7.  When both spouses are retired, life is easier when you have shared activities as well as separate ones.

8.  I still get asked, "So how do you like being retired?" and "It must be nice to have nothing to do every day."

9.  After retiring from teaching, there are many things I do not miss.  What I do miss the most are the students and their families.

10.  I have earned each & every day of my retirement after working for more than 45 years.

3 comments:

  1. I'm terrible, Ellen. I haven't worked as long as you and already I think of retirement every single day. I guess I'm not happy where I am, but I know for sure I am where God wants me - right in the middle of a thorn thicket!!

    Caitlynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The important thing is that you are not alone in the "thorn thicket". He's right there with you.

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful thing. Thanks for the reminder, Ellen. I sure needed it today.

    Caitlynne

    ReplyDelete