Thursday, October 31, 2019

Trust



I live on a 40 acre farm filled with forests of maple, oak and white birch trees,
wild raspberry bushes and animals of all kinds. I love to walk the land and
marvel at what God has created for me and my family to reside in and enjoy.
It truly speaks of the goodness and greatness of our God that He could create
such beauty.

I truly appreciate these wonders every day but more so when I am faced with a
problem or a confusion on a decision that must be made or distressed about the
state of the world today.  It is at these times when I find that I must go and walk
through this place of nature to hear God's voice.

For two months, I had been fervently praying to God to help my youngest son find
his path in the midst of a personal dilemma.  I knew what he needed to help himself
see his life in a more positive light but no matter how I tried to "convince" God
that my idea was the best idea, He did not answer.  I was becoming frustrated and
even angry that He was not "listening" to me.

One afternoon I decided "enough was enough" and went for a brisk walk among  the
trees which were now dressed in their colorful finery for Autumn.  As I walked, my
steps slowed and became more relaxed and finally, I stopped and looked up into the
sky and said, "God, I need to hear Your voice.  What do You believe is the best way
for him to go?"  As I walked back to the house, I prayed on the words that I had just
sent to Him.  Upon reaching my front door, I knew what He had been trying to tell me
all along.
                             "Trust me.  I will give him the path to see.  Trust in me."

2 comments:

  1. I was travelling yesterday and through most of it, I repeated, Lord, Speak to me.
    I felt I didn't quite hear His voice. Today I have another round of travelling and was tempted to stay indoors and settle house chores. But, I took your words to heart and went out into the beautiful sunshine and breeze. I think that's where the Lord wants me to be. That's where He will wait for me.

    Ellen, as a thank you, here's s little gift from Wendell Berry, The Peace of Wild Things

    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this, Caitlynne! Such a lovely gift. I will keep this and read it often and think of your kind words.

      Delete