Monday, October 5, 2020

Escape


This year has been one of cancellations, disruptions, upheavels of all kinds and anger.  There is so much going on between a pandemic, a faltering economy, cruel and bullying attacks during a presidential election, people turning against each other over so many things.  It makes one wonder why getting out of bed each morning is necessary.

Yesterday (Sunday) I decided that I needed to be part of something that never changes.  Something that comes at the same time each year without fail.  Something that even a pandemic cannot cancel.  Yesterday I went out for a walk on my road and immersed myself in Autumn.

I walked down my dirt road and looked at the trees covered in their Autumn colors of red, gold and green.  I felt the chill of the changing temperature fill my lungs.  I watched and listened as a flock of geese in "V" formation flew across the blue sky toward their winter home south.  I enjoyed the quite solitude that comes when one lets the world of nature push away the "noise" of 2020.

I eventually had to come home from my walk; but for one brief hour, it was good to be surrounded by something that had not been canceled or postponed, something that had not changed because of disease or the self-centered meanness of others.  I am certain I will take many of these walks in the future, if only to remind myself that there are things that remain constant in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment