Friday, October 8, 2021

AAACCCKKKK! I am 70! How did that happen?



I cannot believe I have turned 70 years old.  I don't feel 70.  I don't look 70 (on most days) and truth be told, I don't act 70 (this comes from my youngest child who has a penchant for telling the blunt truth).

When I was 16 (back in the olden days) anyone over 21 years old was out of it.  I was the 60s flower child who was going to be young forever.  When I was 21, I was getting married.  I was 5'5"  (I have now shrunk to 5'2"), wore a size 12 wedding dress (not a size 12 anymore), had natural dark brown hair (now have natural silver gray hair), had 20/20 eyesight (can't see anything w/o glasses these days) and could squat, jump, cartwheel and have energy all day long even to the point of staying up all night (no way that happens now).

The upside is that I am retired and can pretty much do what I want.  I get up in the morning when I want to and can move as slow or as fast as I choose. I love that I have not heard my alarm go off in 7 years. I can get dressed or spend most of the morning in my pajamas.There are days when I go out whether to shop or walk or whatever and there are some days when I choose to just stay home, read books, play with my cat or watch mindless tv.  I put makeup on only when leaving the house and then only enough so I don't look like the walking dead.  I go to bed usually after the 11 o'clock news but sometimes I choose to read in bed and have been known to wake up with the open book on my chest and my glasses still on.  Financially, I am doing just fine in retirement...house is paid for and I have enough to pay my bills and travel and play.  Medically, I take more pills now than when I was younger but on the whole I am doing okay.

Although I am more than willing to acknowledge my age when it is necessary for certain official documents, I refuse to use the "s" numbers when asked my age by anyone else.  I have informed my children that if anyone wants to know, their mother is in her 50s.  Of course, as they get older that statement doesn't fly anymore.  I have been told that I should celebrate that I have reached such a milestone.  I can think of many milestones to celebrate...being married to the same man for 48 years, 2 sons that I am especially proud of...but reaching the age of 70....I don't think so!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Ellen! I have an October birthday as well so I especially love your coffee mug! Wishing you an awesome year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the same because although we are that "s" number, we are still awesome October girls. :)

      Delete
  2. I go by the you are only as old as you feel mantra. Mind you there are days I feel way older than I actually am.

    Celebrate your day any way you wish. It is your day. Have fun.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I understand the choice not to celebrate. In fact, I don't have birthdays any more, I have a "me day" every year instead. It's a day when I do things for myself, perhaps shopping - but only for things for me, or go for a shampoo and haircut and always take myself out for lunch. Of course, now that I've been retired it doesn't have quite the same appeal...since I can do most of that any time I like. :)

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete