Thursday, June 1, 2023

June Beginnings

Hostas are coming up and the dogwood bushes made it thru another UP winter. I
planted two barberry bushes by the garage since the deer don't bother the ones in
front of the house. They have beautiful red leaves and berries in the summer and
Autumn. Waiting anxiously for my chrysanthemums to bloom into big white
snowballs.  My lilac bush has blossoms this year.  Love the smell of the lilacs.

Lost the apple tree in the back yard to a bad winter storm last winter.  Hoping to
plant a new one this year.  Also, want to plant a red maple in the front yard.

Speaking of trees, we have a very large birch tree in the front yard that is very dead.  B was thinking about taking it down himself until I pointed out that at 77years old, he shouldn't be climbing trees.  We now have to find someone to take it down.  Normally, we wouldn't worry about it, it is not near the house but our electrical wires go right thru it and I am afraid in a good wind storm like we get in winter, it could come down taking the electric wires with it...very dangerous.  Not a cheap expense but worth the money in the long run.
 

This month is special as it is B and my 50th wedding anniversary.  Hard to believe
it has been that long. We had planned a trip to Vermont, B has never been there,
I haven't been there since I was 16 and my dad grew up there, but we had to cancel
because of my medical issues. So now we have been thinking of something else to
celebrate the anniversary closer to home.

My oldest son sent me a video on Memorial Day showing the hail storm they were having in Reno, Nevada.  B and I thought it was funny as we had temps in the 80s and our son had the Upper Peninsula weather of hail and thunderstorms.

I can no longer watch tv news.  It depresses me as well as angers me.  The so called elected leaders in Washington DC care not one iota about the people of this country.  They don't think about us and what we go thru every day to take care of our families and communities.  They are more worried about keeping their jobs, extravagant incomes and power they don't deserve.  I would love to see most of them survive a few months on what we  "common" folk do.  What an eye opener for some of them...no more private planes, trips whenever they want, no live in help...poor babies.

So instead of watching the news with my morning coffee, I will be found on my deck with my coffee enjoying the quiet sounds of nature and the company of the birds, chipmunks and squirrels and the occasional visit from a large group of wild turkeys. 





4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear from you, Ellen. I tend t o worry when you go silent. I'm sorry the trip to Vermont didn't materialise. I'm going to pray hard for your healing and maybe Vermont can be on the cards again someday soon. Till then, you have a beautiful home and trees and plants and creatures of God to bring needed cheer and comforti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to worry. Just have been dealing with medications and treatments but am doing better. I appreciate your kind words. Those are the best treatment I could receive. Bless you.

      Delete
  2. Here if the electric wires go through the trees, the electric company will cut them down (or at least get rid of a few of the branches). Perhaps check and see if your company does the same.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we did call the local power company and they told us they weren't doing that anymore. However, they would come out and unattach the wires so someone else could remove the tree and then reattach them when the job was done. But we are not sure how long we might have to wait for reattachment as they are not the most reliable power company in terms of job performance.

      Delete